Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Book Page Flower Tutorial...

Hi everyone! A couple weeks ago I shared a tutorial on how to make a wreath made from book pages (I used an old, falling apart dictionary).  Click here for the instructions. I finally hung it up where I wanted it for the holidays on a chalkboard frame with a big Merry Christmas bow. ( I bought that ribbon at TJMaxx last year)


book page wreath


I also wanted to make a whole tree made with book page ornaments and handmade things to go with the wreath. Here's my attempt at a book page flower and I love them!!

book page flower

Here it is nestled in the tree!!

book page flower

Pop in to see the full tutorial...

You can make them any size you want, but I started with a piece of paper cut to 5 inches square.

You can use...

  • old books
  • newspaper
  • scrapbook paper
  • magazines



book page flower

Fold up one corner point to make a triangle.

book page flower

Fold over the right point up to the top.

book page flower

Fold over the left point to the top.

book page flower

Now take the top right point and fold it over, towards the right even with the side. Make a nice crease.

book page flower

Do the same for the left.  Rub the folds to make a crease, because you'll need the crease lines as a guide in the next step.

book page flower

Now, here's the part where it's hard for me to explain this in words vs making a video...

Take the right flap that you just folded over. Open it up with your pointer finger so that the side fold is now in the middle.

book page flower

Like this...

book page flower

Flatten it out. It will look like a kite.

book page flower

I marked this photo in red.

The side fold or crease will open up to be in the center.

book page flower

Now do the same for the left.

book page flower

Next, fold over the top of the "kite" so it's even with the sides.

book page flower

Do that on both sides.

book page flower

Now take the sides and fold it over towards the center.

book page flower

On both sides.

book page flower

Next, "curl" up both sides to meet. Don't crease this part.

book page flower

You want it rounded like a flower petal.

book page flower

Hot glue the sides together.

book page flower

You want to use hot glue, because it dries in seconds and you can keep moving with each step.
 (I use low temp glue sticks, better on my fingers)

book page flower

Here is the final petal.

book page flower

You need 5 petals for each flower.

I know that seemed complicated, but you can literally make these petals in a minute once you get the steps down.

book page flower

Now take each petal and hot glue them together down the sides.

book page flower

Here's a red line where the glue should go.

book page flower


book page flower

Just keep adding the petals

book page flower


book page flower

Perfect!

book page flower

Kind of looks like a poinsettia.

book page flower

I just tucked mine inside the tree.

book page flower

I'll show how to make these ornaments next!

book page flower

You can also add a button, pearl or bead to the center of the flower if you want. I left my blank.

book page flower

I made mine from an old dictionary, but these would look great made with all those wonderful scrapbook papers to add a pop of color.

Ohh, those glitter papers would be so pretty!!

Ohh, maybe add some glitter glue to the edges of these flowers for a little sparkle! The options are endless

book page flower

I made an old fashioned paper chain too!

book page flower

 Here's the a peek at the not finished tree with the book page wreath in the back ground.

book page flower

Back to making more flowers!!

Thanks for stopping by,
~Karen~

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. How lovely Christmas must be in your home - I can totally see this decor in a library or bookstore, too. A holiday haven for readers definitely! It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karen, These are so pretty! I want to try this to add a new element to my living room tree this year. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us. I am one of your newest followers and really enjoy your blog.
    Take Care and have a great day.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this...thank you for teaching the how to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous, thank you for sharing.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love the outcome! And this project is thrifty!

    Mommy Rockin' In Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi !

    My tree will also have his paper flowers !! Thanks for that great idea and nice tutorial ! (hope my english is not too bad....)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen !

    My tree will also have his paper flowers, thanks for that great idea and for the nice tutorial ! (hope my english is not too bad....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea. I think I may try it out this year. It is much better for the environment then continuing to buy ornaments all the time. I like to change it up each year and this is a good alternative to me going out and buying new stuff. I may try spary painting the flowers with some glitter paint also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You are amazing with the flower tutorial. These are definitely going on my TO DO list for Christmas tree decor. And I love the book page paper chain, oh and your book page wreath is a must try too. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails